Monday, January 28

School Days

Well, there's a scheduled blogspot outage in 28 minutes, so I'll have to keep this short.

Lots has been happening at school that I wish I could blog about, but I am keeping my blog with the knowledge that some day a student is going to find it and then anything I write will be public knowledge at school. So, very little can be said.

However, the school day just ended and I'm WIPED. We have a school event in 3 hours, so I'm not going home, and using this time to grade and get caught up with the week. The thing I like least about teaching is the discipline side. I hate giving out demerits, etc. I get so frustrated with those students for making me be a bad guy. Can't we all just get along?

No. The answer is no.

Another issue I'm thinking about is the balance between free speech and "speaking the truth in love." Because I am at a Christian school, I can talk to students about curbing their offensive comments as they are inappropriate in a Christian environment. However I really, truly believe in free speech. What would I do in a public (and far more litigious) school? I don't know. I don't want to be an enforcer of political correctness or "group think," but neither do I want potentially offensive political conversation in my classroom.

Sigh. Somedays I think I win, somedays I think I lose. I have a feeling I do about the same everyday, regardless of my attitude.

I better post this before they pull the plug!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Yay! A new post! I know you can't write as freely as you might want, but I love your stories, and to know you're part of this crazy teaching life now. I'm always here to talk lesson planning and the ridiculousness of Christian school discipline regulations.