Saturday, July 19

Advice needed

I am looking to buy a new camera. I have a really nice point-and-shoot, but it has its limits (and a REALLY long delay). So, I'm trying to decide between the basic Nikkon and the basic Canon. I've messed around with my brother's Canon and I like it. I've heard that Nikkon makes better lenses and is better for a professional, but I'm just messing around photographically. I'm kinda leaning toward the Canon, but I really want some input (coughDawncough).

4 comments:

Kelley said...

Rsearching the same thing. Everyone likes the Canon but seems to feel like the Nikon (D60 in particular) is really easy to learn to use....HOpe this help. We'll prob. end up with the Nikon after ALWAYS owning Canon's. Let me know what you decide.

sliceofisaaclife said...

I assume we are talking digital SLRs and not "real" cameras? :) I don't remember all the specifics of why I finally chose the Nikon D40, but i did A TON of research and also asked several professional photographer friends for their thoughts. (My head was spinning and fried after researching everything :) I have borrowed a Canon SLR from a friend before I purchased my Nikon and liked it too, although I like my Nikon better. Anyways, when you do make your purchase, I would advise buying a protection plan, preferably a 4-year one, that includes covering costs if you accidentally ruin your camera from getting it wet/submersion, etc. I have nightmares about that! Also, my friend told me to get the basic lens with the camera and then if you opt to buy a zoom lens later, it will be cheaper, etc.
The good thing about SLRs = NO DELAY = heavenly! The pics on my blog are taken with the Nikon D40. Anyways, that's my 2 cents :) Good luck! (p.s. did you receive my e-mails? just checking!)

Dawn said...

while i appreciate the mention, you should know that i'm not the best person to ask. i use a sony digital slr, but i think if i had it to do over again, i'd go with a nikon.

see the links on my page to "these small wonders" and "momology" - two fabulous photographers who have the same camera. i think it's a nikon.

let us know what you decide!

Dawn said...

well, they don't have the SAME camera, literally. but you probably guessed that. although they do live in the same city, so it's not altogether unrealistic. ha ha.